In a continuing effort to keep an eye on the ever-evolving workforce — especially as it relates to the flexible workforce and the “new world of work” — we are always on the lookout for current news stories, interesting tidbits and thoughtful commentary.
This week, we feature:
- A helpful Q&A with a leading brand expert about protecting your brand (or culture) when utilizing a contingent workforce
- A comprehensive economic commentary that puts today’s jobless recovery in perspective
- An intriguing PBS NewsHour report ponders questions such as “Does the U.S Need Full Employment?” and more.
Here’s the latest scoop:
– Staffing Industry Analysts provides helpful information and useful tips in a special Question & Answer session with branding expert Julie Schartz as it relates to using a contingent workforce. Read more about “In the Spotlight: Protecting Your Brand” by visiting http://www.staffingindustry.com/site/Research-Publications/Publications/CWS-30/September-28-2011-Vol.-3.26/Protect-Your-Brand
– Earlier this week, Research Economist Murat Tasci posted a very thorough Economic Commentary titled “This Time May Not Be That Different: Labor Markets, the Great Recession and the (Not So Great Recovery)” that provides historical perspective to today’s economic climate. For more, visit http://www.clevelandfed.org/research/commentary/2011/2011-18.cfm
– In a recent and insightful PBS NewsHour “Making Sen$e” story, reporter Paul Solman thoughtfully explores a variety of unemployment issues including the mismatch of skill sets needed for available job openings. To watch the full story, go to http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2011/09/a-tsunami-of-response-to.html
Join the conversation…we invite you to share your feedback, insight and experiences about these and other topics having to do with today’s “new world of work.”